James E. Van Zandt VA Medical Center - Altoona, PA
VA is providing the Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna, and Johnson & Johnson (Janssen) vaccines, as authorized by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Supply varies by facility. Get more information about COVID-19 vaccines at VA.
We are working to vaccinate as many eligible individuals as quickly as possible.
Easier access to vaccines and more people eligible
VA is adding walk-in COVID-19 vaccinations at all VA facilities and outpatient clinics that offer COVID-19 vaccines. Please check hours for vaccination clinics.
Congress has passed a law which allows us to offer COVID-19 vaccines to the following groups who are eligible for a COVID-19 vaccine:
- Spouse of a Veteran
- Caregivers of a Veteran
- Recipients of Civilian Health and Medical Program of the Department of Veterans Affairs (CHAMPVA) benefits
If you don't receive care at VA, we encourage you to pre-register online at least one hour before you go, to save time when you arrive. While at VA you will need to wear a face mask, and physical distancing measures will be in place. For more about vaccinations at VA, visit: www.va.gov/covidvaccine.
Note: Your employer, pharmacy, or local public health officials may offer you a COVID-19 vaccine. We encourage you to take the first opportunity you have to get a vaccine at the most convenient location for you.
Currently the Altoona VA is offering the two dose Moderna Vaccine as well as the Janssen COVID-19 vaccine, which is only one shot.
Where and When are vaccinations being offered?
The Altoona VA main campus is now accepting walk ins, Monday – Friday from 8:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. for Veterans wanting to receive the COVID-19 vaccine. If a Veteran cannot make it during this time and would like to schedule an appointment, they may do so by calling, 814-943-8164 ext. 5800 or 877-626-2500 ext. 5800.
At this time, vaccinations are being offered by appointment only at our following locations: State College CBOC (Monday), DuBois CBOC (Tuesday), Indiana CBOC (Wednesday), Johnstown CBOC (Thursday), and Huntingdon CBOC (Friday).
To schedule your vaccination, please call 814-943-8164 ext. 5800.
Who can get the Covid-19 Vaccine?
Any veteran is now eligible to receive the vaccine, if they are enrolled in VA Healthcare Services. If you are not currently enrolled, please call 814-943-8164 ext. 7565 to speak with our Health Benefit Advisors.
All Veterans, their spouses and caregivers can soon get COVID-19 vaccinations from VA under the SAVE LIVES Act signed into law March 24. Currently. The Altoona VA stands ready to start administering Vaccines to Spouses and Caregivers. However, at this time we are still only able to give Vaccines to enrolled Veterans.
Under the bill, covered individuals include:
- Veterans who are not eligible to enroll in the VA health care system.
- Specified Veterans who are eligible for hospital care, medical services, and nursing home care abroad.
- Family caregivers approved as providers of personal care services for Veterans under the VA’s Program of Comprehensive Assistance for Family Caregivers.
- Caregivers of Veterans participating in the VA’s Program of General Caregiver Support Services.
- Caregivers of Veterans participating in the VA’s Medical Foster Home Program, Bowel and Bladder Program, Home Based Primary Care Program, or Veteran Directed Care Program.
- Civilian Health and Medical Programs of the Department of Veterans Affairs recipients.
- Veteran spouses.
How do I stay up to date on the latest Vaccination Information?
Get the latest updates and sign up to stay informed about COVID-19 vaccines!
- James E. Van Zandt VA Medical Center - Altoona, PA
- 814-943-8164 Ext. 5800
Hours of Operation
By Appointment Only