James E. Van Zandt VA Medical Center - Altoona, PA
The staff at the VAMC¬†Altoona have provided a number of ways for you to learn how to live a healthy lifestyle and self-manage your own health.
Patient Education Center
Our Patient Education Center, located in the Library, is staffed by an experienced patient education library technician¬†and program clerk. The center contains a collection of easy to read health and wellness books, respected health education newsletters, videos, and other materials.
The Patient Education Center is located on the 2nd floor of the¬†main building, room 256.
The My HealtheVet site provides veterans and their families with¬†excellent, reliable patient education information, as well as the latest VA News. Information about veterans benefits and services is also available.
Upon registering with My HealtheVet, you will be able to:
- refill prescriptions online
- keep personal food and activity journals
- monitor your personal health data, such as blood pressure and pain levels
- maintain your own self-entered personal health record
Clinical staff may provide ongoing health education during regularly scheduled outpatient clinic visits.¬†Education focuses on:
- health promotion
- upcoming tests and procedures
Staff can tell you about upcoming education classes that are available.
Clinical staff begin the patient education process at the time of admission, during the hospital stay, and at discharge. Our goal is to provide a hospital environment where patients:
- continually receive updated health information
- are able to ask questions about their health
- can enjoy, as comfortably as possible, their stay in our facility
VA Television Network
An on-demand education video system is available for all inpatient rooms and in some waiting areas. Ask the staff for further information on how to access the system.